Friday, January 29, 2016

FIve Year Goal Update

Image result for goals quotes
 
 
This is the last Friday of the month, which means it’s time for a review of some goals. And it’s not just any month, but January, the first month of the year, you know, when some new goals get made.  My New Year’s Eve resolutions looked something like this: lose a few pounds, maybe run a half-marathon next November (for my fortieth birthday), travel some more. Spend more quality time with the kids. Be content. Those are going well. I’ve picked up on the exercise and eating well in anticipation of pending marathon training. I have two trips planned for later this year, one with the kids, one without. I’m (trying) learning to be content living in Upstate New York in the winter. Those are my short term ones. Today, I’m going over some long term goals; like five-year long term. Mine is simple: I want to run a world class publishing company. Sounds extreme, right? It is. But a girl can dream, can’t she? So, how’s it going? Very well. I think I really have something with Ubooks. It’s following the same trends music has undergone—using commercials as the income base, not actual money. Let’s face it. With Bookbub, among others, people are used to getting their books for free. And lots of them. So why should they drop their hard-earned cash on some books when they have three hundred TBR just waiting for them on their kindle? Simple. They don’t. But with Ubooks, they don’t have to pay a cent. They get the free books they’re used to, while at the same time having an enhanced experience.  It’s a win-win.

Black and White, the publishing company my husband and I run, will be opening for submissions on May 1st for people who want to get in on this groundbreaking idea.  I’ll post more info on upcoming Friday posts.

Have a great weekend everyone!

-Mel

14 comments:

  1. This sounds like an exciting time for you! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get a lot of submissions in May then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ubooks sounds like an interesting idea. I hope you have plenty of submissions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Melanie--I am trying to put together a list of the authors in the IWSG anthology so we can plan a bit of group promoting--would you mind dropping me a note: hartjohnson23@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone can publish for free--and without any quality, checked and double checked. It is wonderful to hear that you will plunge into the world of publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really looking forward to learning more about Black and White! I might have something to submit - or I might not be writing in the right genre, but if I am . . . well, you might get a manuscript from me. I'm hoping to be finished with my top secret project by May.

    Best wishes on all of your goals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you get your dream, maybe you'll become successful enough to take some poets in!
    I'm glad it's going well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best goals are always extreme :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Wishing all the best with your new publishing company!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have great goals and you wrote them down so they're more likely to happen. Dreams are magical. We all need them. I hope yours is realized.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So you're going to be like the free version of Pandora but you'll be offering books? This is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those first goals are excellent; it's so important for our long term goals to be happy and healthy. Good luck as you move towards accepting submissions, I hope it all goes well.

    angelinetrevena.co.uk/blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an interesting publishing proposal. Will look forward to seeing how it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with your goals. It's interesting you're making your money off the commercials.

    ReplyDelete