Wednesday, June 3, 2015

IWSG

First Wednesday of the Month
 
Today is the first Wednesday of the month, which makes it IWSG time. Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh and co-hosts for putting this on each month. For those of you who don’t know, IWSG stands for Insecure Writer’s Support Group, a once monthly online gathering that discusses what makes us insecure as writers and gives support for those insecurities. In a word; it offers encouragement, knowing others out there are struggling with the same things you are.

My insecurities this month are the same they always are: 1. What makes me think I can be a writer? 2. If I am a writer, what makes me think people will actually read what I’ve written? And 3. What if someone else has already written what I have and I just don’t know it yet? This last one was fed by going to writer’s conferences. Someone would inevitably ask what my books were about, and then inevitably say they just read a book just like that.

But I’m not a rookie at this, so here are my answers to the preceding insecurities: 1. I write because I have a story to tell. 2. It doesn’t matter how many people read my books; that wasn’t the point in writing it (Although it would be a nice bonus).  And 3. No one else can tell my story, because it comes from inside of me.

How about you—what are your insecurities? What have you learned along the way?

10 comments:

  1. It doesn't matter how many read your books. If just one person reads them and enjoys or is motivated by what you wrote, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great answers; they say there are no original stories left, but an old story told with a new voice or in a new way is an original story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic answers! Stand tall when you say them. I write because I love it and don't want to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever said that line to another writer about having just read something exactly like what their book is. It would be discouraging. You have good answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great attitude! I really like your third answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent answers, Mel....

    True, no on can write the way we do... The writer's soul reflects in every word and since each soul is unique, no one can copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your answers, Melanie. I'm constantly questioning myself too. It's your story, and only you can tell it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I consider you more of a writer than I am at this point. I try to remind myself of your three points; their the same ideas that keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good answers. If it comes from inside of you, there will always be someone who'll love what you have written. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good answers.
    Everyone struggles with what the qualifications are for being a writer. Many, especially beginners, feel like a fraud when referring to themselves as such.

    ReplyDelete